Leconfield 

Leconfield is a village and civil parish in the East Riding of Yorkshire, England, about 3 miles (5 km) north-west of Beverley town centre. It lies on the A164 road. The civil parish consists of Leconfield, the village of Arram and the hamlet of Scorborough. The 2011 UK census gave the parish a population of 2,127,[1] an increase on the 2001 UK census figure of 1,990.[2]

History

Lachinfeld was originally recorded in the Domesday Book in 1086 as part of the 26 villages making up the Hundreds of Sneculfcros, others in our Parish being  Scogerbud and Argun (Scorboro and Arram), Hundreds being an administrative area of England.

In 1166 the Hundreds area including Lachinfeld was replaced by the Harthill Wapentake an area from Driffield to Market Weighton down to Welton.

At this time the castle was owned by Drogo de la Bourer, a Flemish follower of William the Conqueror who was awarded this land as well as parts of Holderness, where he also built Skipsea Castle.

In 1196 Henry de Percy gained the castle in marriage and so began a long association by the Percy family in Leconfield.

Henry de Percy, second Baron of Alnwick (Duke of Northumberland) was born at Leconfield Castle in 1301.

Henry de Percy, second Baron of Alnwick (Duke of Northumberland) .

In the year 1541, Henry VIII. in his progress to Hull, lodged at Leconfield Castle, at that time the castle consisted of a large house made of timber with a great moat and a brick main gate with a draw bridge, the 4 corner towers being made of stone.

A big feature was the main chambre called ‘Paradice’ parts of the inner walls are now in Burton Agnes Hall.

A large well wooded dear park ran down to Arram through the now Army Transport Camp with a hunters lodge in the grounds of Castle Farmhouse. (Recently located in excavations).

By 1574 the castle was abandoned by the Percy Family, some stone being used in the construction of Wressle castle near Goole.

Now only the moat and inner mound exist being designated by Historic England as a scheduled monument.

 In 1859 Colonel George Wyndham was created Baron of Leconfield, members of his family set up the Wyndham Winery Estate in Hunters Valley Australia where the famous Leconfield Coonawar wine is still produced.

On the 3rd December 1936 Leconfield Airfield was opened as part of the RAF Bomber Command, and on the night of 3 September 1939, 10 Whitley bombers from Leconfield became the first British aircraft to penetrate German airspace, dropping propoganda leaflets.

Whitley bombers from Leconfield became the first British aircraft to penetrate German airspace, dropping propoganda leaflets.

Polish airmen of the 303 Kosciuszko squadron flew out of Leconfield recording the highest number of victories by a squadron in WWII. Our graveyard in St. Catherines church contains many graves of these pilots ( looked after by the war commission).

The 30th December 1966 was a traumatic night for Leconfield when an Hawker Hunter suffering an engine fire crashed into the village striking the rectory and slicing off the back of a detached cottage as well as damaging five houses in the process injuring the Reverent Hennessy, coming to rest against the church wall. The pilot had ejected and landed unhurt near the village post office on Main Street.

Leconfield remained a home to the RAF until 1977 when the Army School of Mechanical Transport took over the site, however until 2015 the RAF remained with their Sea King helicopters of 202 squadron carrying out many rescues both at sea and on land.

Community

The church, dedicated to St Catherine, was designated a Grade I listed building in 1968. It features in the National Heritage List for England maintained by Historic England.[9]

The village contains a post office. Leconfield Recreation Club, with a football pitch, bowling green and children’s play area is located in Miles Lane.[10]

%d bloggers like this: